Over the last two weeks, my CSA share has included a metric shit ton of plums. I’m not really a plum person. I mean, I don’t have anything against them, and I’ll eat one or two if they’re around, but I’m not just going to sit there with pounds of them going “NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM PLUMS!!!” I blame my parents, who never had plums in the house while I was growing up. I actually never had one until I was in my early 20’s. True story.
Anyway, I had all these plums and wasn’t going to just eat them plain, so I went looking for something to do and it turned out that plum jam was my jam (ha!). I found this recipe on a blog from a “Ukrainian foodie” named Natasha living in Idaho. Then I decided to add a little extra spicy fabulousness, kind of like how Idaho got a little extra spicy fabulousness this week in the form of marriage equality. So I added a teaspoon of cinnamon, a quarter teaspoon of cloves and a healthy dash of allspice, ginger and nutmeg.
I wish I had thought to take pictures during the cooking, as it was a pretty crazy process, but you can see the results above and my canned (jarred?) jam below. I have a feeling this stuff is gonna go well with cream cheese or (even better) goat cheese at some holiday parties this December.
Dangerous Days - Zola Jesus
Happy Little Pill - Troye Sivan
Happy Idiot - TV on the Radio
Waitress Song - First Aid Kit
Love Ain’t Enough - The Barr Brothers
Oriental Job - SB3
Brill Bruisers - The New Pornographers
Today the Supreme Court denied certiorari petitions of all seven marriage equality appeals currently under consideration. That means that the same-sex marriage bans in Indiana, Oklahoma, Virginia, Wisconsin, and Utah are permanently dead and marriages should begin in those states soon. It also means that the rulings in favor of marriage equality in the 4th, 7th and 10th circuits are now controlling precedent for all states within those circuits, so any remaining same-sex marriage bans - like those in Colorado, Kansas, North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia and Wyoming - should be struck down in short order.
In celebration of this victory, I’ve compiled this list of FABULOUS! facts that today’s Supreme Court action has produced!
- Majority RULES! - Once the dust settles, marriage equality will be the law of the land in a majority of states - 30! - for the first time. Just over 60% of Americans will live in a state where marriage equality is a reality.
- The Coast Gots the Most - 23,684 miles of Atlantic coastline from Maine to South Carolina will soon be the land of marriage equality, joining the entire continental Pacific coast and Hawaii (time to catch up, Alaska!).
- Get Your Kicks on Most of Route 66 - It goes from Chicago to L.A. and you can get married most of the way! For two-thirds of the route, the historic highway runs through states where same-sex couples can now get married or have their marriage respected (just be careful in Missouri, Texas and Arizona!)
- Road Trip! - The longest road trip you could take directly between two major cities and stay entirely within marriage equality states is from San Diego to Seattle (1,255 miles). The longest road trip you could take directly between two major cities and never go into a marriage equality state is from El Paso to Miami (1,925 miles).
- All of the Ivy League, the Mall of America, 10 of the Pac-12, the last 14 Super Bowl winners, the nine tallest US buildings, Old Faithful, the largest water park in the U.S., the Statue of Liberty, the world’s tallest wooden structure, church, rollercoaster and masonry building and every major movie studio are located in states with marriage equality!
I was just making a sandwich and had a thought that belongs on one of those “Things That Only Make Sense to People Who Grew Up In The 90’s” lists that Buzzfeed is always posting…
Remember that movie, The Truth About Cats and Dogs with Uma Thurman and Janeane Garofalo that was basically a Gen X female remake of Cyrano de Bergerac? So there was this one scene where Janeane is on the phone with Hot Dude (can’t remember the actor’s name) and they are discussing whether or not one should put pickle relish in tuna salad. Janeane is about to put some in hers when Dude is all “When it comes to tuna fish, I am emphatically anti-pickle,” so she stops and doesn’t put it in.
That was the point at which I decided that the movie was bunk because A) tuna salad without pickle relish is like a day at the beach without sunshine and B) Janeane Fucking Garofalo would NEVER not do something she wanted to just because a dude told her he didn’t like it, no matter how hot it was. She was our kick ass feminist shit-kicker of the era and even if she was supposed to be pretending to be Uma on the phone, she would have totally put twice as much pickle relish in that tuna, just out of spite and loved the hell out of her extra-pickle-y goodness.
I don’t know why I think about these things.
When Cody met Derricks daughter
Exactly what I was thinking… Hey Cody! Like my grandmother would say… “Good thing you’re pretty!”
I wonder if Victoria realized that the season is over or if she’s just sitting there in the studio, wondering why Derrick and Julie left?
"Derrick? Julie?" (long pause) "Cody??"
Who the fuck is responsible for the results of the all-time favorite HG shit?
Jordans great and amazing and all but how did she surpass 2 literal kings and the all-time slay queen.
Dan in second place again! I was seriously not emotionally prepared for another contest where Dan is runner-up. I need time from this.
Why doesn’t Britney just follow me around in life, providing commentary?
Me to everything on the feeds – especially Vicsnoria whining – since Caleb got evicted. UUGGGHHHH!